12.07.2009

Thrift Tips


Recently, a friend and fan of shegoesthrifting asked me to compile a few tips on thrifting/ vintage shopping and I have gracefully accepted. While I am flattered to have been asked to do so, I insist, there's not much to it...here goes...

When shopping at thrift, vintage and consignment shops, I make a mental checklist, here are the first 5:

1. Which stores are on my agenda for the day?
Lets start from the bottom up...Thrifts are no-doubt the most economically sound choices and tend to offer the most current pieces....Consignments are next in line and Vintage are at the top of the list in terms of higher price points and period authenticity. I usually hit up all three- in no specific order.

2. To whom do I owe this occasion? Mr. Want or Mrs. Need?
Mostly Mr. Want--to be frank.

3. What kinds of pieces am I looking for?
Handbags, watches and earrings (preferably clip-ons) as well as jackets and blazers are always at the top of my list.

4. Am I looking for everyday or night out garments?
In most cases, I'd like to think both...

5. And finally, How much am I willing to spend?
Ummm...lol

F.Y.I. my latest thrift was this vintage Members Only Jacket for $5

The rest sort of falls out the sky (my questions-to-self, I mean). For the most part, I try to shop with an open-mind, going after the not so obvious and treasuring what I like to call "ugly pretty" pieces. If it calls my name, its mine-for the right price... cheapskate style is the name of the game-wanna play?


My fav spots in GatorCountry:

Persona Vintage Boutique Downtown
The Goodwill on 34th street
The Junior League Consignment Shop on South Main
Urban Thread on 13th street

As always, Ciao for Now!

1 comment:

  1. Great tips!

    I really haven't made an effort to thrift well. I need more patience to sift through everything. I've always wanted a Members Only jacket...

    Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete